Dog Ma 1

Michael Plant wrote:
> Hey guys, please don't hit me. My Japanese friends of years ago told me

that
> Sushi is better in the United States than in Japan because the fish is
> fresher here. This struck me as odd, but I've never been to Japan, so how

am
> I to know. Think there might be truth in it?

As Kuri says, perhaps in times past. I've eaten several times my body weight
in sushi in Japan, and much more in the US. I can remember the one time I
had sushi in America (Ike-no-Hana, somewhere around San Jose) that was in
the same league as the better Japanese offerings. And the best I had over
there (Nishimoto in Osaka, and a few places around the Tsukiji fish market)
was in a completely different league. There is mediocre sushi in the Japan,
as at the bars where it floats by on little boats and ages un-gracefully,
but not much.

Ironically, most of the main item - bluefin tuna - comes from Boston. We
can't even buy real chutoro and o-toro here; it all goes to Japan.
Imperialists stripping the wreck of this once-mighty fish-eating nation. And
half the catch is packed by Moonies, but that's another story.

-DM