Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default For the vegetarians

On Saturday, January 9, 2021 at 1:53:26 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> I make a vegetable broth roughly every 2 weeks. Nothing astounding. I
> like to have it handy all the time and it comes from my desire to
> reduce the food wastage in my home that so many North Americans are
> known for.
>
> Today's blend was exceptional.
>
> *Nothing* used in this is actually gone 'bad'. It's just roots or
> peels of things and that which has gone a bit wrinkly or rubbery.
>
> Normally a lot of cabbage ends and such, this time it was turnip ends
> and peels, onion ends and peels, carrot ends and peels, some corn that
> got a bit too dry, and of all things, a fair amount of asparagus ends!
> Oh and a fair amount of Broccoli where Don was trying to find room and
> tucked in the freezer (unaware it has to be blanched first).
>
> I add a little salt and nothing else but the veggies and water. The
> Asparagus and Broccoli mix was exceptional. Those who eat just the
> flower parts and toss the stems, may want to save them up and try
> making a broth with them. If you get fresh asparagus often and chop
> the ends off that may be woody, save those.
>
> This time I had so many veggies in there, I got only about 2 quarts
> after straining out all the veggies, but it's one of the better mixes.

My 7 year old granddaughter says she won't eat meat because it's from animal. It's a problem keeping her fed. She's such a skinny little thing. Mostly she likes rice and seaweed. My daughter got a smoothie machine and some peanut powder to try to beef up her calories but this could be a problem. My other granddaughters are pretty well fed and healthy.
My high school friend is also losing weight at an alarming rate. That guy will only eat fish and chicken and is deathly afraid of oil. Perhaps I should get him a smoothie machine and peanut powder. I even recommended that he take up smoking weed. That guy would grow plants during high school. My guess is that most of my friends did too. When we graduated and went to college, they all went into the school of Agriculture. I thought that was plain weird.