crymad

samarkand wrote:

> "crymad" > wrote in message
> >

> > Outside of raw fish and sushi, plain soy sauce is rarely served
> > alongside Japanese dishes. I infer from your comments in the previous
> > post that you are Chinese. If so, what are your thoughts on raw
> > seafood?
> >

> Love it, and I like my dip to be a thick paste made with little soy sauce
> and lots of wasabi - I think the Japanese prefer it to be little wasabi and
> lots of soy sauce?

Generally. But applying excessive amounts of either is considered to be
bad form. Though many Japanese are guilty of the practice, dredging raw
fish or sushi in this side sauce overwhelms the delicacy of the food
itself.

To bring this back to tea, and Puerh in particular, I asserted some time
back that the Chinese appreciation of Puerh is in keeping with what I
called their "fondness for foods from the deadside". Here's what I
wrote:

>Examples of the Chinese fondness for foods from the deadside abound:
>
>Dried shiitake mushrooms favored over fresh
>Dried citrus peel favored over fresh
>Preserved duck eggs
>Fermented Dou-Fu Ru tofu, which keeps indefinitely
>Preserved vegetables which require no refrigeration
>Dried seafoods of all sorts, while raw fish/oysters have little appeal
>
>This last one is perhaps the most telling when it comes to differences
>in Chinese and Japanese palates. Sea slugs -- sometimes called sea
>cucumbers -- are enjoyed by both Chinese and Japanese. The Chinese dry
>them as hard as a rock, soak them for several days, boil them in
>multiple changes of water, clean them, and then finally incorporate
>these thoroughly lifeless remains in dishes by further cooking. The
>Japanese eat them raw and quivering.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

--crymad