Posted to rec.food.preserving
songbird songbird is offline

Default Canning lids

pheasant16 wrote:
> OK Gang....... Anyone still lurk now that George has passed?
>
> Got caught last summer with pants down, middle of tomatoes ran to
> grocery store to buy lids; no dice. Hardware store; no dice, farm store;
> no dice. Throw 'em in the freezer.
> Find a few boxes on the internet, a buck a copy. Oh well have a few.
>
> Shopping for Christmas decided to look again; finding lots of lids that
> are listed as canning, but only address uses that don't involve heat.
>
> Have names I've never heard before, not Ball, Kerr, Jarden, Golden
> Harvest. Names like COOOFO.
>
> Are these true canning lids or just meant for storage?

i'm still about. not much going on this group lately.

i have no experience with those particular brand name lids.
i went and took a look for them and found one web-site just
to see what they were.

here is a link with a description and it does say it should
be ok for high temperature and use with jams so i think they
would work for BWB canning. stainless steel would likely
mean these lids could be reused even if that is not generally
recommended in canning.

https://gistgear.com/product/B08HLWTQF6

that's a pretty high price for 48 lids, but the stainless
steel is different from the cheaper version normally used from
Ball or Kerr or the Wallyworld brand Mainstays.

no idea where they are at or the shipping.

we've been keeping an eye out at the stores for lids and
we did get lucky this past fall after our Wallyworld store
restocked the shelves, but they are not on the shelves
often or for long.

i just checked our local Meijers store and they have
jars and even some wide mouth lids with bands but no plain
lids only. in a pinch for us to buy more jars isn't a
problem. we got lucky right in the middle of harvest
season this past late summer when i was able to get four
cases of 64oz jars and another four cases of widemouth
jars. all of those got used up in one week and then we
were able to get a few more cases from other people for
the odds and ends. we put up about 300 quarts of
tomatoes so it was a pretty busy season.

sorry this isn't much help... all i can say is keep
looking.

songbird