crymad

samarkand wrote:

> I hope you meant Chinese rice wine and not Chinese rice?

That too. Might as well add rice vinegar to the list, as long as we're
at it.

> Soy sauce doesn't
> stink heaven high, fish sauce does the job better. Soy sauce stinks
> terribly while fermenting, but the end product can make the food taste
> better. I'm not sure how many types of soy sauce Japanese have in their
> cuisine, I'm always baffled by the soy sauce for the sushi and the tempura
> and many others, but in Chinese cuisine, we have more than 4 types, and some
> soy sauce can be sweet instead of salty, so I wonder to which soy sauce the
> self-respecting Japanese considers stinky?

Light, dark, mushroom -- you name it. Mind you, these prejudices don't
reflect my own opinions. I'm merely portraying those of my Japanese
friends.

What exactly do you find so baffling about soy sauce for sushi? As for
tempura, soy makes up only one component of the standard dipping sauce.
Bonito/katsuo stock forms the base.

--crymad