Posted to rec.food.cooking
Silvar Beitel[_3_] Silvar Beitel[_3_] is offline

Default Don't let your meat loaf

On Friday, October 9, 2020 at 2:26:24 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2020-10-09 11:21 a.m., jmcquown wrote:
> > On 10/8/2020 3:05 PM, wrote:

> >> I love meatloaf, just not mine.
> >>

> > So let other people make it. Â* I'm not trying to talk you into cooking
> > meatloaf.Â* Maybe you could ask the people who made the meatloaf you do
> > love how they prepared it.
> >

> Mine is not bad, but it is not great. For people who think they don't
> or won't like it my recommendation is to try it in a diner. It is bound
> to be good. The best meatloaf I have ever had has been in diners.

Since I started this thread, and have made exactly one meat loaf in the past 20 years, I am now an expert :-) and have this to say:

Bar food.

There used to be a seedy bar on a seedy back street in the somewhat seedy town of Raritan, New Jersey (USA) where the owner's wife made meat loaf once a week and served up giant meat loaf sandwiches on soft hoagy rolls at the bar, I think with a little mayo, maybe some gravy of some sort, to whomever got to her first. Good freakin' gods, it was wonderful. Anyone announcing an intention to go there for lunch at work started a stampede. Mid-1970s.

--
Silvar Beitel