Dave Smith

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> Isn't Bisquick just flour, shortening, and baking powder? The hard part is
> probably cutting in the shortening, so the mix arguably saves a difficult
> step.

It's the only part of the recipe that requires any real work, but I wouldn't
call it difficult. It is, however, the important step that makes the
difference in texture that distinguishes a biscuit made from a mix and one
made from scratch. For the 30-40 seconds it takes to cut in shortening it is
hardly worth it.

> I'll have to try the cornmeal. Is it anything like "Cream of Wheat"
> pancakes? (IHOP sells these as "Country Griddle Cakes".) I've loved those
> since I was a kid.

I don't think I would want to try pancakes made with cornmeal in them unless
it had been precooked. You can put cooked grits or polenta into a pan and
allow it to set, and then cut out slices of it to be fried like a pancake.