Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default My ongoing pizza trouble

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 4:58:50 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:17:20 PM UTC-10, Silvar Beitel wrote:
> > On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 5:05:58 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> > > Using 00 flour, making thin pies.
> > > Cuisinart stone in oven. Whether 550 deg or 450 i cannot get crust to
> > > nicley brown before burning top.
> > > I tried up top in oven and down low.
> > > I tried low then opening oven door to let top heat out.
> > > The pies are really good but could be better.
> > > What do I need to do to get the crust better?

> > This will be sacrilege to some, but consider baking your pizzas in pans..
> > Sheet pans, cake pans, whatever, thin aluminum. And coating the pans
> > generously with oil (and a little coarse corn meal for effect) so that the
> > bottoms of the pies "fry" in the oil at normal "high" home oven
> > temperatures. Lower rack, of course. Result is a crunchy bottom, not a
> > real char, but still pretty stiff and tasty, and it happens before the top
> > gets burnt.
> >
> > (I incidentally have a batch of pizza dough (75% hydration) resting in the
> > fridge for home made pizza tomorrow or the next night.)
> >
> > (And here's something that might elicit your envy or sympathy: I live in
> > a very old (for the USA) New England farmhouse. It's a "center chimney
> > colonial" style house. Said center chimney has five fireplaces and one
> > ... beehive oven. Which would be perfect for pizza (or any wood-fired
> > bread) except for the fact that the last owner who "renovated" the place
> > covered over the oven with a wood (wood! you know, like the stuff that
> > burns!) facing. In years of looking at it, I haven't figured our how to
> > return it to usability without destroying an entire wall in the kitchen..)
> >
> > --
> > Silvar Beitel

> I have made fried crust pizza. It's always an option. I'll make it about 50%
> of the time. I like to make it for the kids - they seem to like it better..
> As it goes, it's easier to eat because it's easy to bite into. OTOH, here's
> a picture of a regular crust pizza.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...kQE5L5Gx_r5xtt
>
> ==
>
> oooh that look lovely. I tend to spread tom paste on the top, put the
> filling on and cover with cheese. What do you do differently? Is that the
> fried pizza?

I'll open up a can of tomato paste and spread that on the dough, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then I hit it with a big container of spaghetti seasoning. You can use tomato sauce instead of paste if you want it to be more saucy but I hardly ever do. That is not a fried pizza - it's just a regular one.

If I got a jar of pesto, I'll use that.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared...9ek6sGqFXHtM5r