Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected][_2_] itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net[_2_] is offline

Default My ongoing pizza trouble

On Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 7:46:41 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> 'Zactly! Pizza stones are just an added expense for those who know
> zero about cooking. As soon as a raw cold pizza is placed on a heated
> stone it's temperature drops signicantly into the COLD zone and a home
> oven can't reheat it for at least 10 minutes.

I've always read those pizza stones should be preheated for at least an
hour in the home oven. Heating for twenty minutes does not even begin
to get it hot.

> Most pizzarias with
> real pizza ovens use perforated pizza pans for baking and that's what
> I've been using for some 40 years. The pizza in the perforated pan
> should be set to serve in its matching deep dish pan to prevent
> condensation at the bottom of the pizza.

My favorite pizza joint does not have a stone oven nor do they use any type
of pan. Also, they don't serve any type of 'pan' pizza. It is a gas oven
with a conveyor belt the pizza rides on traveling through the oven. The
pizzas come out perfectly browned on the bottom and somewhat crispy. No
floppy slices of pizza when they're picked up from the plate but not stiff
as a board either.

Before you go off on a tangent they had to install a pizza oven that fits
the space of their establishment. The pizza must be darn good as they
never lack for customers.

At home when I do a Newman's Own it says to cook the pizza directly on the
oven rack. Do not use a pan of any sort if you want a browned bottom crust.
I do as the instructions say and I end up with a perfect crispy crust every
time.