Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Dover Sole!

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 10:19:12 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2020 12:47:05 -0700 (PDT), dsi1
> > wrote:
>
> >On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:55:26 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> >> The names of food will typically change in different geographical locations.
> >> Most times, it changes once it reaches different lands. The stuff we call
> >> "chili" is not the same stuff served in Texas. The local chili here has a
> >> lot of sugar, beans, and mayo in it and it's served over rice. It's roots
> >> lie in Cincinnati rather than Texas. How this happened, I haven't a clue.
> >>
> >> ===
> >>
> >> I get mixed up with 'chili/chilli too. I always thought it was meant to be
> >> very spicy but I was told here, many years ago by (forget her name) that it
> >> is sauce with tomatoes.
> >>
> >> I am still confused
> >>

> >> --
> >> https://www.avg.com

> >A lot of people are confused so I wouldn't worry about it too much. "Chili" is short for "chili con carne" which means meat cooked with peppers. Americans, being lazy, like to call it "chili." "Chili sauce" is a sauce that can be made with tomatoes and spicy peppers or just peppers. Mostly, Americans will use a sweet, tomato based, bottle sauce of the Heinz brand. I've never used the stuff myself but these days, I'll use a Chinese style chili sauce.
> >
> >https://www.myamericanmarket.com/307...hili-sauce.jpg
> >
> >https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

> Salted Chilli Peppers (39%) (Chilli Peppers, Salt), Fermented Soybean
> Paste (20%) (Water, Salt, Soybeans, Wheat Flour), Water, Soy Sauce
> (Water, Salt, Soybeans, Wheat Flour), Sugar, Dehydrated Garlic, Sesame
> Oil, Colour (150a), Soybean Oil, Chilli Pepper Powder (2%), Shallots,
> Modified Corn Starch (1422), Acidity Regulator (270). Contains
> Soybeans, Wheat, Sesame Seeds.
>
> A shame about the Colour, although they spell it correctly. So what if
> it's brownish instead of reddish? It is what it is.

I also use this sauce too. Sometimes, two sauces are better than one. The weird thing about it is that it's in the same jar as strawberry jam. It even looks like strawberry jam. That's just asking for trouble! I don't know what's in this stuff either but it has a nice prickly spiciness.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/12...v=157143 8961

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.