Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crab cakes tonight

On 2020-04-01 12:51 p.m., Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I can't get crab meat here, I can't remember the last time I saw crabs
>> at the fish counter. I had them in a restaurant in Toronto many years
>> ago and they were pretty good. I made the mistake of buying them ready
>> made the fish counter of local grocery store and that was a mistake i
>> am not going to make again.

> The only crab meat you'll ever see in a grocery store display is
> always killed, cooked and frozen. Just a good as fresh.
>
> I've only seen snow crab legs (don't waste your money)
> or dungeness crab legs (I've never tried those)
> Rather buy some on ice from the showcase, always ask for
> a bag of frozen. That's how they get them and will
> have some in their freezer.
>
> I do that with shrimp unless locally caught which a grocery
> never has.
>
> Very good crab meat to order is Alaskan King Crab. It's a
> bit pricey but tastes just like fresh blue crab without
> all the trouble to pick the meat out.

We can get frozen king crab. It costs and arm and a leg, no pun
intended. The last time I considered getting king crab was a few years
ago and it would have been about $40 to get enough for the two of us. I
can't see myself spending that kind of money to add fillers to make crab
cakes. I will save them for restaurant meals.... and they are a rare
item on restaurants menus around here.