Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default The All-You-Can-Eat Buffet Keeps America Free

On 2/14/2020 4:19 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 4:03:13 PM UTC-5, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 09:51:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>>> I guess I'll just have to stay unfree. I can't eat more than one plate
>>> of food and steam-table cuisine holds no attraction for me.

>> Agreed, and in 99.9% of cases, buffet food is disgusting. At least the
>> Western concept of buffet is disgusting. I do like the Asian approach
>> where you cook your own fresh fish, meat and veggies at your own table
>> though.

> I've been to some buffets that were really excellent, especially
> brunch buffet at a decent hotel. A whole table of various kinds of fish
> (smoked and steamed, served cold). Omelets made to order. Delicious pastries.
> Way back when, I actually could eat enough to make it worth ponying up the $20
> or more--which was a lot of money in those days.

I'm reminded of a very nice brunch buffet in the ballroom at The Peabody
Hotel in Memphis. Coincidentally, it might have been a Valentine's Day
brunch. I went with a whole bunch of friends and we had a great time.
It was pretty much like you describe, Cindy. Freshly made croissants
and other pastries, a custom omelet station, freshly made Belgian
waffles. There was a roast beef carving station and they served Nova
Scotia lox, fresh fruits, all sorts of things. IIRC it was $30/person
and included champagne, coffee, tea (hot or iced). They had a live band
(light jazz). We had a great time.

> But that's not the kind of buffets under discussion in the article that
> GM reposted.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Nope, that's not the kind of buffet in the article GM posted. I've
never been a fan of all you can eat buffets, particularly not Chinese
restaurant buffets. The few I've been to, well hey, who knows how long
that stuff had been sitting there. The author wrote "It sets off the
same childlike enthusiasm as a trade expo or a giveaway pile at a yard
sale. At age 26, it still triggers memories of giddy excitement..."

Twenty six! Well hey, there's the voice of experience! Wait until he's
50 and see if he's still giddy. I don't get excited about yard sales or
trade shows, either.

Jill