Alex Chaihorsky

> We've come close to doing that in New York City- and we have had a mess.
> The good thing about careeer politicians is they know how the system
> works.
> We now have a mayor who spent more than half his term learning how
> politics
> is done in NY, and he angered a lot of people in the process. Some jobs
> take a lot longer than one term to learn. I for one am glad that certain
> politicians keep getting elected, since that way they're able to actually
> help their constituencies and have influence. On the federal level, this
> becomes very important on some of the larger committes, like defense,
> health, and so on. Most American politicains are ill-travelled and know
> almost nothing outside of their states. Freshman year is usually just a
> learning experience for them- it can take a while before a senator or
> representative can actually come up with something useful. But then, I'm
> an
> American. In Russia it might be different.

Our difference is ideological. I see the government as evil neccesity, you
see it as a source of protection and possible good. In that I follow the
traditional American Framers argument, and you - traditional Russian one. I
am a naturalized US citizen, BTW, living and paying taxes here for 18
years..

Sasha.