Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW[_2_] DaleW[_2_] is offline

Default TN: 1990 Bordeaux at Bobby Van's on East 54th, NYC

Last night our Bdx group gathered at Bobby Vans for a 1990 horizontal. I had wedge salad, a tomahawk, fries, spinach. Nice group

2010 Laherte Freres Les Vignes d'Autrefois Extra Brut Champagne
Good acids, apple and a bit of yeast, full-bodied. This is awful sweet for an extra brut. B

1990 Ch. Angelus
Opened at restaurant Ripe but balanced, blackplum and mocha, noticable tannins, quite good. B+

1990 Ch. Figeac
Double-decanted in afternoon (first bottle corked!) Black cherry, tobacco leaf, leather and barnyard. This is a walk beside a pasture, not stepping in a patty. Nice balance and length. I liked more than group. A-/B+

1990 Ch. Clinet
Double-decanted. Very rich, full, long. Group fave. But just a bit OTT with the ripeness for me. Chris says €œits like milk chocolate:€ but thats the problem. I really do like, but wish it was toned down just a notch. B+/A-

1990 Ch. Leoville Poyferre
Double-decanted hour before dinner.Another fine bottle of this. Cassis, cigarbox, a little iron shavings. Beautiful structure and length. Drinking great, yet with a future. A-

1990 Ch. Pichon Lalande
Double-decanted . Nice svelte wine, black fruit, spice, tobacco. B+/A-

1990 Ch. Pichon Baron
Double-decanted in afternoon. Rich black currant, smoke, mocha. Good length, balance, finish.
A-/B+

1990 Ch. Cos dEstournel
Opened at restaurant. All the wines showed tannin, but this was only one Id describe at tannic. Pretty hard.
B/B+

Group voting
Clinet 14 pts
Poyferre 10 pts