Edwin Pawlowski

Default Pastrami = Smoked Corned Beef Brisket?

"Tank" > wrote in message

> I have been told that pastrami
> is a corned beef brisket which is smoked.

Pretty much.

> It has been suggested that I soak the corned beef for 24
> hours or so, changing the water frequently to remove salt.
> I hesitate to do that, as it is a home-corned product,
> rather than a from a commercial packer. I am thinking of
> smoking it as, with just some pepper and coriander seed.

I'd give it a rinse, maybe a loght soaking depending on the salt conetne. I
cure my own and I don't have to soak it as it is not as salty as the
commercial made stuff.

> One person suggested I put it in at 130 F, with medium smoke
> and high airflow, until the surface is dry. Then decrease the
> airflow and increase the heat until the brisket gets to
> about 175 - 180 internal. About 5 hours was mentioned. This
> process sounds logical to me, the time may be a bit long,
> as this is not a massive brisket. A couple of pounds, fits
> in a large ziploc bag.

I use pepper, coriander and garlic. I put it in the smoker right along with
a brisket that I may be making for barbecue. Cooking temperature is 250 to
275. I go for an internal temperature of 190 to 195. I use a full cut
piece and I've never had it dry out. You do have to let it break down the
collagen to tenderize it a bit. After smoking, let it stand in the fridge,
well wrapped, overnight.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome