Nexis

Default Questions about converting cake recipe for sheet cake, etc.

"N." > wrote in message
om...
> These questions may seem like a no-brainer to some of you, but I'm not
> a baker by any stretch of the imagination so I need help!
>
> I have a recipe for a cake that recommends using two 10x3" round pans
> and yields 9 cups of batter. How much of this cake batter would I
> need to fill a 11x15x2" rectangular pan? I guess I would fill it up
> 1/2 way and then bake until it's set in the center and hope for the
> best? Would the edges be overbaked by the time the center was set?
> Can I prevent this from happening? Is there any way possible that I
> can still follow the recipe as is and make 2 sheet cake layers out of
> it so I can use a filling (whipped cream type of filling) and still
> have it coming out tasty (not dry, crumbly, etc)?
>
> Also, the key in the back of the cookbook says that a 10" round
> layered cake will yield 25 servings - does this sound about right? My
> daughter is having a birthday party and so I'll need at least 25
> servings for kids + adults.
>
> Thanks!
>
> N.

Why not just use a recipe meant for the pan you're using? With that size
pan, you will get a thin cake. If it were me, I'd make a recipe like
Hershey's Deep Dark Chocolate or Black Magic cake. Then, I'd make it again.
Put some filling, say sliced strawberries and whipped cream, in the center
and layer them. Now you have plenty for 25+ people, and no worries. It's the
simplest, moistest cake ever, no matter what I bake it in. I've done rounds,
springform, 9x13, 11x15, etc. Just remember it will be done much quicker in
the 11x15, so start checking at around 15-18 minutes.

kimberly