Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Fruitcake season

On Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 12:05:15 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> It's been a pretty busy week here but I had a lazy day here. I went out
> to get the ingredients for light fruitcake. I picked up the glazed
> green and red cherries and pineapple, golden raisins and prunes at Bulk
> Barn. I lucked out. They were on sale this week and I happened to be
> there for seniors discount day. I went to another store for three pounds
> of butter and found that on sale. I also picked up eggs and sour cream.
>
> I have to purge my freezer before I make the cakes because I will need
> to store them for at least a month while they age. The next miserable
> day will be fruitcake baking day. Disparage fruit cake all you want, but
> I love it and I have some friends and family who look forward to being
> gifted with it.

I have not heard of storing fruitcake in a freezer. We used to just stash it some place. It seems to keep just fine in tropical temperatures.

I used to make fruitcake with my mom during the holidays but haven't made it for quite a while. Evidently, my mom used to pass it out during Christmas.. Evidently, it was appreciated. My auntie makes fruitcake using my mom's recipe and passes them out. Hopefully, I'll get one this year. I would appreciate it.