Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The cost of convenience

On Monday, November 11, 2019 at 10:35:33 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2019-11-10, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
> > precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.

> Same with those "off-the-shelf" spices, from yer gocer (McCormack,
> Spice Island, etc). I've seen ground sage going fer up to $35usd per
> oz.
>
> Grnd sage is less than a $1usd per oz (bulk) at my local health food
> store.
>
> I've been trying the JD Biscuit Roll-Ups. Not much meat, but the
> biscuit part is tasty, specially w/ Sriracha Sauce.

Anything is tasty with sriracha. Toward the end of my participation
in the Society for Creative Anachronism we used to take sriracha to
medieval feasts. Anything that wasn't very good got a liberal squirt
of sriracha. Authentic? No. But most of the cooks were on a tight
budget and rarely cooked for 100-200 people, so results were quite
variable.

Cindy Hamilton