Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The cost of convenience

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 3:39:00 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:15:51 -0800 (PST), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 1:51:34 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >>
> >> I was in BJ's the other day and one of the item they were sampling was
> >> Jimmy Dean precooked sausage links. I like JD sausage and have it once
> >> or twice a week. The sample tasted just as good as what I make from the
> >> chub package. I wonder what the price is?
> >>
> >> So I had over to the case as one of the things I was picking up was JD
> >> sausage. Of course, I looked at the price per pound. OMG! The
> >> precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.
> >>

> >To me, Jimmy Dean is one of the worst tasting breakfast sausages to be had.
> >But you like it, and that's great.

> It's also surprising.
>
> "Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage
>
> PRECOOKED SCRAMBLED EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, SKIM MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED
> CORN STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, SALT, CITRIC ACID,
> BUTTER FLAVOR [BUTTER {CREAM, MILK}, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
> AND COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, LIPOLYZED BUTTER OIL, NATURAL AND
> ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS]), DICED POTATOES (POTATOES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED
> VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS], AND/OR VEGETABLE OIL
> [CANOLA, SOYBEAN AND/OR SUNFLOWER OILS], MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEXTROSE,
> TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE [TO
> MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR]),COOKED PORK SAUSAGE CRUMBLES (PORK, WATER,
> CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR (WITH
> MALTODEXTRIN, SUCCINIC ACID), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL
> COLOR).SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE,
> SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO COLOR), WATER."
>
> Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. "TO MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR" YOHO!

That's not the stuff we're talking about. It's almost as if you're trying
to come up with the worst possible outcome. I would appreciate some
intellectual honesty from you.

Here's what we're talking about:

pork, water, contains 2% or less of the following: corn syrup, salt, spices, sugar, monosodium glutamate, flavorings.

Cindy Hamilton