Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bruce[_28_] Bruce[_28_] is offline

Default The cost of convenience

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 12:15:51 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 1:51:34 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> I was in BJ's the other day and one of the item they were sampling was
>> Jimmy Dean precooked sausage links. I like JD sausage and have it once
>> or twice a week. The sample tasted just as good as what I make from the
>> chub package. I wonder what the price is?
>>
>> So I had over to the case as one of the things I was picking up was JD
>> sausage. Of course, I looked at the price per pound. OMG! The
>> precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.
>>

>To me, Jimmy Dean is one of the worst tasting breakfast sausages to be had.
>But you like it, and that's great.

It's also surprising.

"Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls, Sausage

PRECOOKED SCRAMBLED EGGS (WHOLE EGGS, SKIM MILK, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED
CORN STARCH, XANTHAN GUM, LIQUID PEPPER EXTRACT, SALT, CITRIC ACID,
BUTTER FLAVOR [BUTTER {CREAM, MILK}, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN
AND COTTONSEED OIL, SOYBEAN OIL, LIPOLYZED BUTTER OIL, NATURAL AND
ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS]), DICED POTATOES (POTATOES, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED
VEGETABLE OIL [SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OILS], AND/OR VEGETABLE OIL
[CANOLA, SOYBEAN AND/OR SUNFLOWER OILS], MALTODEXTRIN, SALT, DEXTROSE,
TETRASODIUM PYROPHOSPHATE AND DISODIUM DIHYDROGEN PYROPHOSPHATE [TO
MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR]),COOKED PORK SAUSAGE CRUMBLES (PORK, WATER,
CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, SUGAR, SPICES, NATURAL FLAVOR (WITH
MALTODEXTRIN, SUCCINIC ACID), SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CARAMEL
COLOR).SHREDDED MILD CHEDDAR CHEESE (PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE,
SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO COLOR), WATER."

Eeeeeeewwwwwwww. "TO MAINTAIN NATURAL COLOR" YOHO!