Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected][_2_] itsjoannotjoann@webtv.net[_2_] is offline

Default The cost of convenience

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 1:51:34 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I was in BJ's the other day and one of the item they were sampling was
> Jimmy Dean precooked sausage links. I like JD sausage and have it once
> or twice a week. The sample tasted just as good as what I make from the
> chub package. I wonder what the price is?
>
> So I had over to the case as one of the things I was picking up was JD
> sausage. Of course, I looked at the price per pound. OMG! The
> precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.

To me, Jimmy Dean is one of the worst tasting breakfast sausages to be had.
But you like it, and that's great.

> Needless to say, I will continue to cook my own.
>
> What I do is fry up a full pan of patties cut from the chub. I partially
> freeze it to make cutting easier. A few on the plate, the rest in a
> container for future meals. They heat up in 20 0r 30 seconds in the
> microwave.

Same here. Cook the full pound and store the rest in the 'frig in a covered
bowl. Ready to eat with whatever I decide breakfast will be that day. No
need in slicing and frying everyday and cleaning up a mess when you only have
one mess to clean up when the full pound is cooked.