Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The cost of convenience

I was in BJ's the other day and one of the item they were sampling was
Jimmy Dean precooked sausage links. I like JD sausage and have it once
or twice a week. The sample tasted just as good as what I make from the
chub package. I wonder what the price is?

So I had over to the case as one of the things I was picking up was JD
sausage. Of course, I looked at the price per pound. OMG! The
precooked came out to $23 per pounds as compared to the DIY at $3.

Needless to say, I will continue to cook my own. To be fair, the cooked
would have had a little loss from fat rendering but would still be
exorbitant.

What I do is fry up a full pan of patties cut from the chub. I partially
freeze it to make cutting easier. A few on the plate, the rest in a
container for future meals. They heat up in 20 0r 30 seconds in the
microwave.