Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Dinner tonight

On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 4:41:36 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at 3:10:46 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > ==
> >
> > It looks good and if you say it tastes good ... that is good enough)

> Back in the old days, the cut for osso buco was typically a veal shank with
> a large diameter, marrow rich hole. What made the dish special is that you'd
> eat the marrow. These days, that doesn't seem to be the case. People eat the
> dish for the meat and the bones are smaller. My guess is that marrow eating
> is more popular in Europe.
>
> ==
>
> I can remember doing that as a child, but not since.

Eating marrow is something that I never did as a child. Back in those days, we pretty much stuck with local dishes. I read about osso buco as a kid. It only took me 50 years to get around to making it. The closest we got back then to Italian food was canned spaghetti. We're a lot more sophisticated these days.