Posted to rec.food.cooking
A Moose In Love A Moose In Love is offline

Default Soaking beans

On Sunday, July 14, 2019 at 2:12:14 PM UTC-4, songbird wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
> > You don't want to cook them for an hour like that. You need to boil for a
> > minute then soak for an hour, then cook. If you cook them for an hour
> > first, they could lose their shape.

> i have some small firm beans that won't blink at being
> cooked for 2-3hrs. i use them in chili most of the time
> because them being firm like that can stretch the meat
> further - they taste just fine.
>

> songbird

I often wonder why the Texas chili 'experts' often say that chili should not have beans in it. I love beans in my chili, not only to stretch the meat, but I think the addition of beans makes a better chili.

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.