Bob (this one)

GoombaP wrote:

> On the farm in Alcona, Co., Michigan we had a Wolf River apple tree. It
> often produced apples so big that one of them made an 8" pie. Full! Most
> often however it took 2 apples. It was a typical backyard apple variety that
> never made it commercially because the fruit bruised easily and didn't store
> well. How many such varieties of other fruits have we lost?

Actually, there are more varieties of apples in the world now than
there have ever been in the past. New hybrids are being developed
everywhere they're grown. The last count of varieties I saw was a
couple years ago and it was up around 7500. Some have undoubtedly been
lost for whatever reasons, but I don't feel as bad about them as I do
about all the lousy tomatoes that have supplanted good ones.

Pastorio