Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cherry soup

On 2019-07-11 10:24 p.m., songbird wrote:
> A Moose in Love wrote:
>> Anyone here like cherry soup? I never did, except for the home made dumplings in there. We ate ours warm. Some people eat it cold.

> never heard of it before, but i like tart
> cherries so i'd probably like them cooked in
> various things and ways if i had a lot of
> them to work with. for us they are only a
> dried fruit crop that we buy and they are
> not cheap so we don't often have them for
> cooking and mostly we use them in cookies
> (chocolate chip, pecan and cherry - which are
> delicious ).

Cherry soup sounds interesting. I am not sure I would make it, but I
would definitely try it if offered. I looked at some recipes and one of
them called for jarred cherries.

Sorry to hear that you can't get fresh cherries there. They are a local
crop for me. There are several nearby sour cherry orchards. One large
one is about kilometer from our house. Just a little further from here
there is a large cherry operation with its own processing plant. Rather
than buying them by the basket and having to pit them, I can get pails
of freshly picked and pitted sour cherries ready to be cooked, and they
are a lot cheaper than buying them by the basket. Sour cherries are
extremely perishable and really need to be used as soon as possible
after picking... and that means within hours, not a day or two.

There used to be a cherry orchard across the street from us. The elderly
couple tended it enough to get a crop but never harvested them. We had a
tradition of the annual stolen cherry pie. I would make a batch of pie
dough and while it was resting I would run across and steal enough
cherries for a pie, pit them, roll out the dough and make a pie with
them. It was always the best pie of the year.