Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Black beans stain pot

songbird wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I think it's "Songbird" here that grows many kinds of
> > beans. She could be a good source of info.

> "he"

noted

> i haven't sorted my list yet so i'm not sure how
> many i've planted this year - looks to be about 50
> different kinds.

Are they all for you (and family) or do you sell commercially?

> we have about an acre of gardens, that's more than
> enough to keep two people busy (along with everything
> else).

My grandparents (my mother's parents) had 9 kids. Her father was
a lifetime coal miner back before coal miners unionized so they
were poor folks. They had about an acre of land to grow all their
own vegetables that were processed and home canned. Enough to
last a year until next season.

They also had 2 large apple trees, chickens, a milk cow. Grandpa
hunted for most of their meat. I don't know how they did all that
but they managed. I guess you learn to live within your means.
They always had plenty of food for family and visitors. I do
remember that gramma spent all of her time in the kitchen, either
processing garden food or cooking. That was her entire life other
than church every sunday morning.

Good mountain folk, they were and very fond memories. As a young
kid, I got to spend alot of time with them in the summers.