Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Black beans stain pot

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 19:43:41 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> I just had them again. I can't believe how good they are. Boiled in
>>> water with a bit of salt until soft enough and later briefly fried in
>>> olive oil.

>> I'll have to try some that way.
>> I normally just cook them for burrito filling.
>>
>> One question:
>> Do you fry them whole in the oil or
>> maybe just slightly smash them first?
>> I would be tempted to do that just until
>> they broke open a nip but not completely mashed.
>>
>> Just like a "smashed potato" finished off
>> in hot oil.

>I use a potato masher on mine.

I use a potato masher that lookes like a potato ricer.. i mash them in
the same pan I just used to fry pork chops. I posted a picture of my
refried black beans years ago but all the non cooks said it looked
like shit... little do the noncooks realize that all mashed beans
litterally look like shit.

Anyways cookware can stain from hard water... hard water will leave a
coating same as it does on toilets, tubs, shower heads and faucets,
with cookware it leaves a rough coating for black bean color to adhere
to. We have a water softener, it saves on having expensive plumber
bills. I've resolved all bean cooking problems by switching from dry
beans to canned beans. Canned beans are perfectly cooked, are a big
time saver, and cost less than dry beans, simply buy them in larger
size cans and or by the case and the price goes way down... the 40
ounce cans are perfect for yoose beaners. I keep very few dry beans
in the pantry, I keep dried peas and naturally some Navy beans. We
buy Goya black beans by the case. My wife grew up on black beans and
rice, that's almost the national dish of Belize... only thing missing
is gibnut. We like some beans in a tossed salad, also marinated three
beans salad, we both like garbansos in a tossed salad or as a
component in marinated beans. Canned beans are always ready and easy
to rinse... I don't rinse for refried beans and soups. Canned beans
save money but mostly they save a lot of kitchen time and cooking fuel
The last time I looked at the dry beans display I got sticker shock.