Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black beans stain pot

"Hank Rogers" > wrote in message
> Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 19:39:47 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> We've been having a lot of black turtle beans lately. I mean Mexican,
>>> tex-mex, southern American style black beans. I boil a kilo at a time
>>> and freeze part. All good. Except they stain the pot really badly with
>>> a dark film. Is there a good way to avoid the discoloration or to get
>>> rid of it afterwards? Thanks.

>> Thanks, all. The first pot we tried was stainless steel, but it
>> stained. The second one was a Le Creuset and it stained too. I'll try
>> the bleach solution. If that doesn't help, I'll buy a pot just for
>> beans, since we have them all the time now.
>>

> Yoose could try a bit of ammonia to help clean yoose pot, if there are no
> metal parts.
>
> Popeye would just pee in it before cooking, because the heat would help
> too. Maybe he will help.
>
> Julie is a bean expert too, so maybe she will give better guidance.
>
> CALLING POPEYE CALLING JULIE BEAN EMERGENCY
>
> BEAN EMERGENCY 911
>
> BEAN EMERGENCY 911

I've used Revereware, a cheap enamel coated pan and a non-stick Dutch oven.
Never had a bean stain. But maybe I cook my beans differently. This was told
to me by a Mexican Chef.

Quick soak method. Put beans in as much water as possible. Bring to a boil.
Boil for a minute. Note that this was for black beans. Kidney beans need to
soak for two minutes. Turn the heat off and let sit for an hour.

Drain the water. This helps take away what might cause gassiness.

Refill pot with water. Again as much as possible. Bring to a boil, let
simmer until done. Drain off and save the water. That water is great for
making soups, bread and other things. Depending on what you are making with
the beans, you may need to add some water back to the pot. Add seasonings
after the beans are done. Certain things can make the beans tough if added
too soon,