Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Summer Grilling

On 2019-06-15 10:46 a.m., Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 10:31:36 AM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

>> Actually not, all other household appliances are sold fully assembled,
>> even kitchen stoves. Weber wastes a lot of money on packaging
>> materials for their unassembled products... just that Weber has the
>> typidcal MEs friggen' morons.

> No matter how much Weber spends on packaging materials, they wouldn't
> do it if it wasn't profitable for them.

I imagine it is definitely cheaper to send them in boxes. They are
easier to ship, take less space in the warehouse. You can't stack
assembled BBQs. There is less chance of being damaged in transit.

It would be nice if they shipped a few extra nuts and buts in case one
gets misplaced, or if one was used in a place where another was
supposed to go but another fit. Of course, that presents the
possibility of someone successfully assembling the product and wondering
why there are parts leftover.

FWIW... Ikea stores have a spare parts section. Their kits come with
the exact number of parts required to assemble the item. They tend to
use similar types of fasteners and some may break or get lost during
assembly. You can go back to the store and get more for free. Of
course, that means setting foot in the store and being subject to the
enticement of picking up more irresistible items. By the time you are
done you are hungry and need to go to the restaurant for some
inexpensive but delicious food.