Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Black beans stain pot

songbird wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> > We've been having a lot of black turtle beans lately. I mean Mexican,
> > tex-mex, southern American style black beans. I boil a kilo at a time
> > and freeze part. All good. Except they stain the pot really badly with
> > a dark film. Is there a good way to avoid the discoloration or to get
> > rid of it afterwards? Thanks.

> dilute bleach in a spray bottle or just a few drops
> and some water and a scrubby that will not disintegrate
> upon exposure to bleach.
>
> better yet is to cook in things that don't stain.

Even better still, use a stainless steal pot. They don't stain
like he describes and I have cooked black beans. They don't stain
like that but burned on things might need the bleach solution
like you said.

No need to spend tons of money for some cool pot. Buy a Revere
Ware pot of the size you want. Stainless steel Revere Ware with
copper bottoms. They are very inexpensive and I use them almost
exclusively. Only other pan I use occasionally is small cast iron
frying pan, nicely seasoned (but not for beans).