Tea

"Alex Chaihorsky" > wrote in message
om...
> > Having visited Afghanistan, gotten to know the people somewhat, and

having
> > studied the history of Afghanistan, I came to the same conclusion at

that
> > time. Great minds think alike, you see. Now, predictions on the demise

of
> > the United States, anyone?

> If we won't find a way to get Likudniks out of the controlling the

Congress,
> do you have ANY doubts?
> "One (wo)man - one term." for all elected officials on federal level
> without exception, if you ask me.

We've come close to doing that in New York City- and we have had a mess.
The good thing about careeer politicians is they know how the system works.
We now have a mayor who spent more than half his term learning how politics
is done in NY, and he angered a lot of people in the process. Some jobs
take a lot longer than one term to learn. I for one am glad that certain
politicians keep getting elected, since that way they're able to actually
help their constituencies and have influence. On the federal level, this
becomes very important on some of the larger committes, like defense,
health, and so on. Most American politicains are ill-travelled and know
almost nothing outside of their states. Freshman year is usually just a
learning experience for them- it can take a while before a senator or
representative can actually come up with something useful. But then, I'm an
American. In Russia it might be different.