Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz[_53_] Sqwertz[_53_] is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipee

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 13:06:24 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:52:29 PM UTC-5, Derek Schur wrote:
>
>> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
>> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)

> Good grief, who in hell would put that much sugar in cornbread? I know, some-
> one who doesn't have a clue about cooking this staple.

He already called that one - he saw your type coming. I hjave seen
1:1:1 cornbread recipes many times.

>> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
>> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
>> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
>>

> None of these are needed if you buy self-rising cornmeal.

I would rather buy cornmeal and make it "self-rising" on demand.
What if I want regular cornmeal for something else, like my pizza
crusts? Same with "self-rising" flour. Just buy flour.

>> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)
>>

> No, hell no, not ever. This has me strongly suspecting you are nothing but
> a troll.

Now you're pushing it.

>> 1.5 Cups Buttermilk (strongly prefferable) or regular Milk
>>

> Either one is fine.

It makes a difference.

>> 1-2 Eggs*
>>
>> Grease a 10" skillet, and place it in a cold oven, and then pre-heat
>> it to 400 degrees Farenheight.
>>
>> Mix the ingredients together (withold wet ingredients for as long as
>> possible), and pour into the fully heated skillet. Then bake at 400
>> degrees for 18-20 (posaibly 22) minutes.
>>

> Mix dry ingredients 'for as long as possible.' Why? Should we be mixing for
> 10 minutes, an hour, all day??

Because the cornmeal rehydrates and gives a different texture. You
just dis'ed cakey.

> Troll. Only a troll will show up, post a questionable recipe, and then wants
> to 'debate' the merits of his *recipe.*

Have you been drinking tonight? Crack? Meth?

I'm not a cornbread fan, but its clear his post was in true sprit.

-sw