Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Ultimate Cornbread recipee

On 6/6/2019 4:06 PM, wrote:
> On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 2:52:29 PM UTC-5, Derek Schur wrote:
>>
>> Also posted in rec.food.baking, I'll also post this here.

No one cares. Thanks, Joan!

>> In the interest of furthering the neverending discussion of how best
>> to make cornbread, I offer the following thoughts. Start as as folows.
>>
>> 4Tbs. Melted Butter, Margarine or Vegtable Oil (In that order of
>> preference)
>> 1 Cup Cornmeal
>>
>> 1 Cup A/P Flour
>>

> Not needed unless you like cake-y cornbread.
>>
>> Sugar--Anywher from nothing, if you're a True Southener, up to 1 Cup,
>> if you're A Damned Yankee. (My taste is about 1/4 Cup.)
>>

> Good grief, who in hell would put that much sugar in cornbread? I know, some-
> one who doesn't have a clue about cooking this staple.

The only time I ever had cakey, very sweet cornbread was when I visited
Boston, Massachusettes. I was with a friend in a pub and a waiter came
over and offered us some cornbread. She (who was born and raised in TN)
said to me, "You won't like it. It's very sweet. Sure enough, it
tasted like and had the texture of sweet white cake. No thank you!

>> 1 Tbs. Baking Powder
>> 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
>> 1-2 Tsp. Salt
>>

> None of these are needed if you buy self-rising cornmeal.

I don't buy self-rising cornmeal. I don't mind adding the ingredients
to AP flour. The poster is still a troll.

>> 1/8-1/4 Tsp Nutmeg (*Yes! This matters!*)

OMG, no, it does not.

> No, hell no, not ever. This has me strongly suspecting you are nothing but
> a troll.

Gee, ya think? LOL

Jill