Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz[_53_] Sqwertz[_53_] is offline

Default oyster sauce

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 11:42:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 4, 2019 at 8:39:52 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
>>
>> True oyster sauce seems to becoming a rarity.
>>
>> Years ago, I usta buy the Lee Kum Kee real oyster sauce in their
>> traditional 240g jars. Even saw an old documentary on how it was made
>> (using real oysters).
>>
>> Now, all I can seem to find is the Lee Kum Kee "oyster flavored" sauce,
>> in large bottles. Is all the oyster sauce now an "oyster flavored"
>> sauce? I can see it, oysters becoming more rare.
>>
>> nb
>>

> I've got an unopened bottle of Tra Maekrua oyster sauce I bought last year at
> the Asian market. Product of Thailand and ingredients a
>
> Oyster extract, 30%
> Soy sauce, 28.8%
> Water, 11.8%
> Sugar, 10.1%
> Modified starch (thickener), 7.5%
> Corn starch, 3.5%
> Acidity regulator, .1%
> Sodium benzoate (preservative), .1%

Just look for any oyster sauce with oyster extract as the first
ingredient. And preferably with the least amount of carbs (or
sugar). I thought they were required to have 50% or more extract,
but now I can't find anything to back that up. I've always just
looked for it as the first ingredient.

Pure oyster extract never existed as far as I know. It would have
to be sold refrigerated and would have a shelf life of just a few
days or weeks. It would go bad as soon as it was opened.

-sw