Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_16_] Ophelia[_16_] is offline

Default Thursday lunch

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> ImStillMags wrote:
> >
> > On Thursday, May 30, 2019 at 8:24:35 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> > > Cooking right now and almost finished -
> > >
> > > Very large potato cubed
> > > Medium-large onion cubed
> > > Some cubed Spam
> > >
> > > All fried until very browned, almost blackened.
> > > (in oil and butter combined)
> > > Will serve with some Gramma.R signature applesauce.
> > > And a buttered piece of bread.
> > >
> > > It's enough for two meals, easy.

> > add a soft fried egg on top !!!

> I meant to do that for the 2nd helping last night but forgot.
> Last week I did do a microwaved potato then turned into lumpy
> mashed potato. I did top that with a juicy over-easy egg. Broke
> the yolk over it and it was very delicious.
>
> ===
>
> Not something I have ever made. Do I see that you part cook your
> potatoes first?
>
> Mentioned it to D and he fancies it <g>

Assuming you're asking about the combo of potato, onion and spam:
- Microwave the potato until almost done then cube it
I often leave it in too long and it's fully cooked but
that's ok. Cubing it then, it will tend to fall apart
some but that's ok too.
- then put cubed potato, raw choppen onion, and
Spam right from the can into a frying pan with a
little oil and butter and brown it all stirring
once or twice but do let it sit cooking long too.

The applesauce on the side is a good compliment.
Also a juicy fried egg on top would be good.

For the microwaved "chunky mashed potato" only,
Just microwave it until done but in 2-3 steps.
Cook for a couple of minutes, let it sit for 4 minutes
then flip over and microwave again. If a large potato,
you might have to do that a 3rd time.

Then cross cut it using a knife and spoon, turn the bowl
sideways and cross cut again with some butter and S&P.
Do this turning and cutting a few times until texture
is how you want it and butter and S&P is mixed in.

Again, applesauce on the side and a juicy egg
on top is a good thing.

====

Thanks very much))