Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Jello

On 5/30/2019 12:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-05-30 11:59 a.m., jmcquown wrote:

>>> I've never cared for Shake 'n Bake but did like the Oven Fry brand of
>>> these
>>> type coatings.
>>>

>> LOL, joan!Â* The funny thing about Shake 'n Bake is what they were
>> really selling the idea of tossing pieces of chicken in seasoned
>> breadcrumbs in a plastic bag.Â* It's a very old trick and didn't
>> require buying a commercial product.Â* Back in the day, you tossed
>> chicken pieces in seasoned flour or breadcrumbs in paper bags.
>>
>> Shaking really does beat dredging for completely coating pieces of
>> chicken.Â* Whether you intend to fry them or bake them, it works to
>> coat them well.Â* Then just bake them (or fry, if that's your thing).

> I confess that it was not in my repertoire. I tried ShakeNBake, liked it
> and figured out that I could make it up myself.

Yep!

> I do all kinds of
> variations of oven fried chicken, using different combinations of herbs
> and spices. I also do one with orange one.Â* Beat the eggs with some
> orange juice concentrate and add some grated orange zest to the seasoned
> crumbs instead of the herbs.

IIRC Shake 'N Bake also made/makes a coating for pork chops. The whole
idea was based on shaking meat in a bag. It's really not difficult for
anyone to figure out that's been a longtime method for coating meat.
Adjust herbs and spices to your liking.

Shake N Bake was supposed to be a time saver. Really? How so? How
long does it take to measure out a cup of dried breadcrumbs and maybe a
bit of flour or cornstarch? Add some dried herbs and garlic and then
toss it in a bag with some pieces of wet chicken. Not very labor intensive.

Jill