Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Jello

On 5/29/2019 4:05 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2019 11:23:42 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
>> OK...so I went to the grocery store this morning and top of my
>> list was orange jello, bananas, and vanilla ice cream. Got it!
>>
>> Ended up buying peach jello. I had forgotten about that.

> Isn't peach jello orange?
>
> Artificial fruit flavors never taste anything like their tree-grown
> counterparts. Peach, I think, is one of the few exceptions. I'm
> pretty sure with other flavors you could change the color of them
> and 9 out of 10 people would be able to guess the flavor: Green
> cherry jello, pink lime jello, purple apple jello.
>
>> I came home and cooked it

> I haven't made jello in so long I didn't even know you were supposed
> to cook it.

Sorry to barge in. It's not "cooking". You have to boil some water.
Then stir the Jell-O powder into it. Then pour it into a bowl or a mold
and add cold water (ice cubes if you want a quick set) then put it in
the refrigerator. If you want to add fruit, you do it before you put it
in the fridge.

I have never added fruit to Jell-O but I've certainly heard about it
here over the years. Also from having some very old "dessert" cookbooks
which often mention the use of fruit in Jell-O.

I'd rather just eat fruit than suspend it in a gelatin concoction.

Jill