Posted to rec.food.cooking
jinx the minx jinx the minx is offline

Default Dinner on the fly.

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "Jinx the Minx" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>> I am trying to change my diet some to heal a fatty liver. I know I need
>>> eat more onions and celery but need to read more about what to eat. I got
>>> some marked down organic grass fed ground beef and a big bag of green
>>> beans.
>>> I loosely followed a recipe. The recipe said to either put the beans in
>>> water, bring to a boil and let sit for 5 min. or... *Cue Jill* Steam
>>> them! I
>>> opted for the boiling water.
>>>
>>> Original recipe uses ground beef, the partially cooked green beans and a
>>> sliced onion. I added two bell peppers that had an accident so needed to
>>> be
>>> used soon and a good handful of grape tomatoes. Stir fry all with a
>>> little
>>> garlic in sesame oil. I did mostly peanut with a little sesame as I find
>>> sesame to be overwhelming. Add some beef broth or water and beef powder,
>>> 1 T
>>> molasses and 3 T. soy sauce. Cornstarch (I used sweet rice flour) to make
>>> gravy. Some reviewers claimed it needed more seasoning so I added salt,
>>> black pepper and a touch more garlic.
>>>
>>> Serve over rice. I made brown. It's good but if I were making it just
>>> for
>>> me, I would not use the molasses and soy sauce. I think I would prefer a
>>> plain brown gravy.
>>>

>> This may be the worst recipe Ive ever seen if you want to heal your fatty
>> liver! No red meat (ground beef), no sugars (molasses), no sodium (soy
>> sauce, beef broth, plus extra salt), no saturated fat (peanut and sesame
>> oil) and low calorie (this isnt it). At least you served it over brown
>> rice. Its this recipes only liver saving grace. Please get your diet
>> information from reputable medical sites (not sites that recommend more
>> onions and celery).

> I did not eat that for the fatty liver. I ate it to try to use up things
> that I had in the house. I am trying to eat more onions and celery. I did
> not get the onion and celery thing from a website. Both of those are good
> for a fatty liver as are a lot of other fruits of vegetables but some of
> those are things I can not or will not eat. Such as asparagus and Brusell
> sprouts. No how, no way on those things. The recipe actually was pretty low
> calorie though, as I didn't eat very much of it.

Sorry, my mistake. You posted first thing that you were trying to change
your diet for fatty liver. Then you said you got some marked down beef and
green beans, which implies you just bought them for this diet, not had them
and were trying to use them up. Lastly, despite being €ślow calorie€ť by
virtue of not eating a lot, it still wasnt the healthiest meal for fatty
liver.