Old 17-05-2019, 02:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef

On 5/17/2019 6:38 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, May 17, 2019 at 12:55:04 AM UTC-4, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:34:53 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

snip
Nobody had Corned Beef on sale here for St Patricks Day. It used to
be $.99/$1.29 10 for St Pats 10 years ago. I think we're (Central
Texas) being punished for sucking up all the beef brisket from the
U.S. other times of the year. Smoked and trimmed brisket packer
brisket here comes with a 1000%-1200% markup from BBQ trailers and
restaurants ($2/lb raw retail, $24/lb smoked).

-sw

Back in those days you could buy a whole brisket for $.89/pound.
Prices just aren't what they used to be.
Janet US

And wages are higher, too. Food costs in general are quite low,
even if meat prices have increased a lot in the past few years.

Cindy Hamilton

True, but some of the former cheap cuts are no longer cheap. The masses
have discovered them. Adjusted for inflation, the chicken wing in 5
pound bags used to be equal to 39 cents/pound but since Buffalo wings
they are $2.39. People that never heard of BBQ brisket a few years back
now buy brisket sandwiches at Arby's and packer cuts have triples in
price. The trimmed flat at Publix was not much cheaper than a nice rib
eye steak.