Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Dinner Tonight: Salmon patties

On 5/12/2019 8:57 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Nothing wrong with cooked salmon bones in the can. They are so soft
>>> that if you bite into one you probably would not even notice.
>>>

>> In Bruce's worthless opinion (he said it!),

> Don't judge him harshly. He is right about that.
>
>> the last fish patties/burgers he made used canned mackerel.Â* Want to
>> talk about trailer trash?Â* Canned mackerel ranks right up there. IMHO
>> and YMMV.

> I am not a fan of mackerel. I worked for a while as a sea mammal trainer
> and started my work day cutting up hundreds of pounds of the Spanish
> Mackerel to feed to the critters.Â* If I walk into a fish store and there
> is mackerel I can smell it over the other aromas.
>

>> When I drain the canned salmon I do pick out the bones.Â* It's easy
>> enough to do with a fork.Â* But I don't freak out over it if there are
>> a few of the very soft bones still in there when I mash the salmon.
>> Pick those out with a fork, too.

> My mother used to remove them but when I was a teen I learned from a
> friend that the do not need to be removed, that you can just press them
> lightly with a fork and they disintegrate.
>

>> The recipe is very tasty even without the crushed corn chips.
>> Normally I just use a little flour to help bind the mixture together
>> with the egg and minced onion, sometimes minced bell pepper, salt &
>> pepper.Â* The sour cream if I have some or mayonnaise if I don't.Â* I
>> usually don't have sour cream so I use mayo.Â* Either way, they're
>> quite tasty.
>>

> Salmon patties should be on my to cook list. I love salmon. I consider
> canned salmon to be a different but similarly good thing.

I'm not trying to push salmon patties on anyone. Like them, don't like
them. All I did was post about what I made for dinner and how I made
them. Terribly sorry it was about *food* and *cooking*. I've got no
idea why it led to a discussionabout whether or not I steam or lightly
salt anything. Note: I didn't steam the salmon patties. LOL Might as
well complain about the oil I use to pan fry them. Or pan frying, for
that matter. Heh.

Jill