Jack Keller

Ken,

There are at least three reasons. First, a lot of people have asked
me about using Oak Essence (the product) and I had never used it and
wanted to so I could talk about it knowledgably. I couldn't find it
locally, so decided to make some. After I made some, I found the
product and then began comparing mine to theirs. Making it became a
habit.

Second, I have at times bulk aged a wine and when I was ready to
bottle it wished I had oaked it. Oak essence is the answer, and the
stuff is much cheaper to make than to buy. Plus, it really makes
itself.

Third, I have oaked wines before until they were perfect, removed the
oak, and two months later found I could hardly taste it at all. Oak
essence is the answer. It's easy to use, you can taste the results
right away, and if it isn't strong enough you don't have to wait
another month.

A friend in Fredericksburg, Texas also makes his own essence. His
method is slightly different than mine. He uses vodka. He also
leaves the oak chips in the jar for a couple of years. When he uses
some of his essence, he just adds more vodka to the jar. His gets
stronger than mine.

Jack Keller, The Winemaking Home Page
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/