Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Boron Elgar[_1_] Boron Elgar[_1_] is offline

Default Is this a viable SD starter?

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 11:55:23 -0600, notbob > wrote:

>On 4/16/2019 9:06 AM, graham wrote:
>
>> Take a couple of Tbsps of the starter (discarding the rest) and feed it
>> with flour and water. Do this several times. DON'T put it in the fridge
>> until you have a good, powerful starter and need to store it.
>> BTW, if there ever is liquid on the surface, pour it off! It contains
>> alcohol as a by-product of fermentation and will only inhibit bug
>> development.

>Thank you, graham, for your timely reply.
>
>I have found a U2B video that shows a live starter from King Arthur
>(KA). Since I use a lotta KA flour (bread, 100% whole wheat, organic
>APF, etc), I thought it would be nice to see what a live starter looks
>like. KA makes one and it's nice to see it. Interesting!
>
>Here's the video:
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sMTUaq8Rrk
>
>Feel free to comment. The video is "Vino Farm" (lower right corner)
>
>I've been watching Ken Rollins (chuck wagon cook) make SD everything,
>but he sez "never" in plastic and seldom bakes @ 8K ft elev. He
>recommends 1-1/2qt "crock" which the guy from Vino Farm is totally
>against. I'm going fer consistency rather than exact measurements.
>
>Plus, Ken recommends mixing in the alcohol "dark" liquid (he also uses
>"instant" yeast). (I have brewed whole grain beer so know what "kriek
>lambics" are).
>
>Otherwise, when it comes to bread, I have no idea what I'm doing. Am
>watching KA's vids on sourdough, now.
>
>nb

The liquid is often referred to as "hooch" by acolytes of the Holy
Order of SD Junkies. Some keep it all, some dump it all, some take a
middle road.

Early on in my SD days, I bought a crock from KA to use for SD. I used
it for awhile and went back to Rubbermaid or similar because the crock
never offered a perfect seal for long-term storage in the fridge
(sometimes my starters lounge in the fridge for weeks)

These days, I use the containers for Talenti ice cream- they are
perfect for me.

You might enjoy reading this:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/sourdough-library

One thing to know about bread baking is that there is no "right way"
of doing things and that extends a tad into the starters, too. Not
only are there those who say to never use plastic containers, but
some also warn folks off using metal utensils to mix, too. I have
found no diffs.

Insofar as the bread baking, you will find a lot of advice online and
in videos. You are smart enough to grasp the overall of that - some
will be the equivalent of "Einstein Does Bread" and some will be,
basically, full of it. Hard to tell the diff at the beginning.

You can find interesting reading at http://www.thefreshloaf.com. They
have lots of advice and the good thing about it is that is a
well-established community that will happily crowd-source its opinions
about posted techniques or recipes, so you get a bit of background and
guidance toward the more logical of the postings.

Bread baking can be tricky, as the very same recipe that gave you
perfect results with one flour, or on a warm, humid day, might give
you dreck with another flour or chilly weather. The thing to learn is
how to judge your dough progress based on how it looks, feels and
behaves as you make the breads.

Granted, I am way more "liberal" in (almost never) paying attention to
a recipe than most peeps are, and I cop to that flaw, but knowing how
hydration, gluten development, proofing and shaping affect your loaves
will go far in helping you create good bread regardless of the recipe.

The definition of good bread, by the way, is any loaf you like.