Peter Aitken

"raymond" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 11:38:10 GMT, stark >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >, Jessica V.
> > wrote:
> >
> >> However it calls for Red Fish, suggested substitutions are goo or
> >> sac-a-lait. Does anyone have any other ideas as to what would make a
> >> decent substitution.
> >>
> >> Tillapia comes to mind as a possible substitute. The sac-a-lait/white
> >> perch is out of the question unless I can find a place to fish for it
> >> that isn't polluted.
> >>
> >> Jessica

> >What Louisiannans call a redfish is an Gulf fish; I don't think it's a
> >red snapper. The Brennans say it's a member of the bass family and that
> >trout, flounder or any nonoily fish could be substituted. I've noticed
> >that NO restaurants are using a lot of Drum lately.

> Right, Redfish and Red Snapper are two different things. When I was a
> kid, if we caught a Redfish we cut it up and used it for bait to catch
> something we could eat, hopefully a Red Snapper. But the Cajuns, who
> eat anything and everything, figured out a way to make Redfish tasty
> and in 1984 Paul Prudhomme published his recipe for Blackened Redfish
> in his Lousiana Kitchen cookbook and the run on Redfish started. It
> is the only time in history when a single person with a single recipe
> depleted an entire species.

I'm surprised that redfish were unpopular before the blackened redfish
craze. We catch them here in North Carolina from the surf and from boats.
They are called red drum here, and the smaller (5-12) lb ones which are
prime for eating are "puppy drum." It is one of the best fish I have ever
tasted, blackened or not.

--
Peter Aitken