Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia[_16_] Ophelia[_16_] is offline

Default Chicken Stock

"Gary" wrote in message ...

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> Freeze it in ice cube trays and bag it for the freezer.

I freeze mine in one-two cup lidded containers. Some of each.

> Season
> vegetables with it. Cook rice with it instead of using water. Make
> any kind of soup you wish using the chicken stock as a base instead of
> water. Drink it as a comforting warm-up on a chilly day.

I drink it occasionally on cold mornings. Didn't know anyone else
that has done that. For the hot drink, I will add a bit of
bouillon for a flavor boost. Chicken stock is a bit mild on it's
own. OTOH, turkey stock is very strong and tasty on it's own.

Also great for gravy - Make roux (with onions) then add chicken
stock rather than milk. And thicken a chicken based sauce using
cornstarch and add to say, stirfry. Great for making stuffing too
especially for those that don't cook the stuffing in a bird.

Anyway, you did get the most out of it by slow cooking for 2
days. I always did 24 hours until a few months ago. My 24 hours
were up but I discovered that my fridge was on the blink that
morning. Only way to save my stock was to let it keep on cooking
until I got the fridge fixed. That batch cooked for 48 hours and
was even better. That's what I shoot for now....at least 24 hours
and better for 48 hours.

==

Thanks)

I always cooked my stock for a couple of hours and used it for gravy or
stew.

I have never done it for 2 days before but (thanks to your advice) it is
wonderful. I wasn't sure what to do with it)

I will never now do it any other way)