Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default fried polenta cakes

On 3/6/2019 10:44 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2019-03-06 6:57 p.m., Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >, tert in seattle
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I tried frying up some leftover polenta for the first time yesterday.
>>> I had poured the still creamy warm leftovers into a pyrex baking dish
>>> and put in the fridge the day before. I cut it into squares, like
>>> brownies, and fried them in olive oil and butter. I wasn't sure how long
>>> or how hot. They got a nice crispy outer shell and were creamy on the
>>> inside. It took them longer to fry that I expected, and more heat as
>>> well. Served with generous amounts of red sauce dolloped on top. They
>>> were pretty good but I wonder if they could be better. Any suggestions
>>> would be appreciated.Â* I will definitely make polenta again - it's a
>>> great food on a cold winter day!

>> Sure. Serve them fried for breakfast with Log Cabin Syrup. I do that
>> with cornmeal mush. A couple of eggs on the side doesn't hurt either.
>>

> That works with grits too.

It definitely works with grits. I add shredded cheese to the still warm
grits, then chill them in the fridge overnight. Form into little
pancakes and brown them in butter and oil. Sure, you can drizzle with
syrup or honey but you know I'm not big into sweet. I like them plain.
Pan fried and yes, served with an egg or two on the side.

Jill