Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] Leonard Blaisdell[_2_] is offline

Default What do you suck at?

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> wrote:
> >
> > i find it difficult to skin a salmon filet. perhaps i'm using the wrong
> > knife. i was taught to use a steak knife(not the knife you're thinking of;
> > it's a long curved knife which was designed to cut for example to slice up
> > a whole strip loin into steaks). some people they get it right and take
> > that whole skin off in seconds. maybe i should try a boning knife.

> Buy yourself a good "fillet knife." Somewhat long, curved and
> razor sharp. Get a good one, don't get cheap.

Fiskars makes good ones. I have one, but I usually remove fish skin at
home with a plain old Henckels boning knife. It's right there in the
block, and I don't to have to sort through my fishing gear for the
Fiskars. One wants a relatively flexible and thin blade. Yeah, and
sharp. You can pick up the knack after hacking a couple of fish up.
They're still edible, just ugly.

leo