Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default chicken stock revisited

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 20:39:45 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 8:30:10 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 21:23:28 -0500, wrote:
>>
>> >A !2 qt is my smallest stock pot, for major chicken stock I use my 24
>> >qt stock pot, it'll hold three large roasting chickens. My favorite
>> >is my 18 qt French style stock pot, a deep and narrow voluptuous
>> >PIAZZA... no cookware is better.

>> Do you bail the contents of those 18-24 pots? I can't imagine anyone
>> lifting a full pot down off the stove.
>>

>He probably uses a 3 quart pot for his 'dipper.' ;-) I can't imagine
>anyone making that much stock unless they're running an orphanage or Kuth's
>boarding house.

These days it's just the two of us and not much company like the old
days so I rarely use the 24 quart pot but I use the 18 quart pot a few
times a year and I use the 12 quart pot often. The grands are
terrible eaters, they live on junk food so I refuse to cook for
them... their favorite food is Pop Tarts.... this visit over two days
they finished two packages of Pop Tarts and a 12 pack of Coke.

With the 12 qt pot I'll end up with 8 quarts of rich stock and I don't
think that's a lot. I think an 8 qt pot is too small for stock, not
worth the time and effort for maybe 5 quarts of stock... I eat most of
the veggies, I like boiled carrots, celery and onions, and naturally I
eat the chicken, I make chicken salad for us and then I pick the
bones. And I skim off the fat... gets put in an empty can and when
frozen cut through the bottom lid and push it out on a snow bank,
birds polish it off fast.
Last night I roasted a five pound boneless pork loin, had a lot of fat
on the exterior so this morning while the left over was cold from the
fridge I decided to slice it but first I removed most all the fat and
tossed it off the deck, birds were there before I got back inside.
It's much easier to slice meat cold than hot... cold sliced pork loin
makes very good sandwiches.