Posted to rec.food.cooking
U.S. Janet B. U.S. Janet B. is offline

Default chicken stock revisited

On Tue, 26 Feb 2019 03:38:55 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

wrote:

>> > YMMV:-) I think big commercial kitchens still use the long, slow method.
>> >

>> If I had one of Sheldon's 12 quart stock pots I could start a huge brew and
>> let it go for days.
>>
>> ;-)

>I have a 12-quart pot, but the turkey carcass fit nicely in the 8-quart
>pot. Now that the stock is made, I'll reduce it down and freeze it flat
>in ziplocs.
>
>I don't feel any particular need to make a barrel of stock when I can just
>make it again when I need to.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I generally need to make it again within a couple months. I buy
chicken with bones in and butcher out what I need. I save and freeze
the bones and odd parts I don't use. I also freeze carrot, celery,
onion, bell pepper, mushrooms that are currently beyond my immediate
needs. I store the chicken in zip bags and the veggies in another zip
bag. When I have a lot I put in a pot and make stock. I have never
bought (I don't think) chicken to make stock.
At one time in first years of marriage, I tossed unneeded chicken
stuff (gizzard, neck, wings) in a pot with some water and cooked it up
and gave the broth to the dog. I finally tasted some after I noticed
that the dog went wild for it. That was the beginning of my stock
making and a loss for the dog :-(
I just don't understand allowing veggies to get sad in the fridge and
throwing them away. Or throwing away chicken trimmings. I picked out
good stuff at the store and paid good money for it. Use it.
Janet US