Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default chicken stock revisited

A Moose in Love wrote:

> i got a pile of chicken legs @ 88 cents per pound. (cdn)
> what a wonderful stock they made. i don't like leg meat, so i cooked the meat and everything until d-day. put legs in a pot.

There's a good thing. Cooking until nicely browned definitely
improves the flavor of your stock. Joseph Littleshoes said that
once. I tried it and it's very true. Only problem is that once
that cooked chicken comes out of the oven, it's hard not to eat
rather than toss it in a pot of water.

> cover with water at least a couple of inches. bring to a boil, and skim, skim skim...

Skimming is only necessary if you want your final recipe to have
very clear broth. I don't care about that so I never skim.

> when all skimmed completely lower the heat so that the stock is tickled. a couple of bubbles up every second. maybe 4 bubbles, but not much more please. tickle for a few hours. i don't time, but it was probably tickling for around 6 - 7 or 8 hours. the stock should be a bit dark but clear. great flavour.

Again I say - you like it after 7-8 hours? Be patient and go 24
hours. Big difference.

> i must mention that after the skimming, i added onion and carrot. no celery because i didn't have any. no herbs either i.e. bay leaf.

Best to not add anything much. Some recipes you use the broth for
might not want the extra flavors. I tend to make mine almost
pure. I do save (in the freezer) some onion and carrot tops and
maybe a few other extra vegetable pieces and will toss in. No
herbs or spice though. I like to start with plain rich chicken
broth/stock when using in a recipe. Other flavors can be added
then.